Youth Pheasant Hunting
Any youth hunter (ages 12-15) who posesses a NYS small game license, and accompanied by a licensed adult hunter may participate in this year's youth pheasant hunt on October 27 & 28.. Only the youth hunter is eligible to carry a firearm. Contact the DEC at the Stonybrook office for more information. 444-0350
Youth Waterfowl Hunting
Likewise, Any youth hunter (ages 12-15) may participate in Youth Waterfowl hunting on November 10-11 when accompanied by a licensed adult. Again, Only the youth hunter can carry a firearm.
The Special YOUTH TURKEY HUNT Occurs in the Spring
Requirements to take part in the Suffolk County youth turkey hunt include:
- Hunters must be 12-15 years of age, must have completed a Hunter Education course, and must have both a junior hunting license and a turkey permit.
- Youth 12-13 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or adult over 21 years of age, with written permission from their parent or legal guardian. Youth 14-15 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or adult over 18 years of age, with written permission from their parent or legal guardian.
- The accompanying adult must have a current hunting license and turkey permit. The adult may assist the youth hunter (including calling), but may not carry a firearm or bow, or kill or attempt to kill a wild turkey during the youth hunt.
- Shooting hours are from one-half hour before sunrise to noon each day.
- The bag limit for the youth weekend is one bearded bird. This bird becomes part of the youth's regular season (upstate) bag limit of 2 bearded birds. A second bird may be taken beginning May 1 in upstate New York.
- All other wild turkey hunting regulations are in effect.
Public hunting opportunities for youth turkey hunt in Suffolk County include the following DEC Managed Lands:
- Otis Pike Preserve
- Rocky Point Natural Resources Management Area
- Westhampton Management Area
- West Tiana
- Barcelona Neck
- Sarnoff Pine Barrens Preserve
A seasonal access permit will be required to hunt on the Sarnoff Pine Barrens Preserve, Barcelona Neck state lands, Westhampton Management Area, West Tiana, Otis Pike Preserve and the Rocky Point Natural Resources Management Area during the spring youth turkey hunt on Long Island. The East Hampton Cooperative Area is not open for the spring youth turkey hunt.
- You DO NOT need to report to the Check Station on the morning that you wish to hunt Parking areas will be filled on a first-come first-served basis. Permittees must park at numbered parking areas only if the site quota is not filled. Site quotas can be found on the area maps and are posted at each parking site.
- All vehicles must be parked in appropriate designated parking areas with vehicle pass visible through the windshield.
- Permittees shall have access only to lands situated on the same side of the road as the permittee's parking site.
- Parking is prohibited from 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise at all hunter parking areas
Seasonal access permits may be obtained in person at the Sporting License Office in Stony Brook, or call the office at 631-444-0273 to have an application mailed to you. In addition, applications for access permits are available from NYSDEC’s website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40414.html. Seasonal access permits are free and valid for three years.
For more information on hunting seasons and regulations, please visit the DEC website at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/hunting.html. For tips and further details on regulations on turkey hunting, contact DEC regional wildlife office at (631) 444-0310 or visit: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32162.html.
Maps for DEC-Managed Lands may be found at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/40399.html